14 June 2006

All day

We found out this morning that William got into all day kindergarten. Out of the five sections at our school, only one is all day so I thought our chances were pretty slim. You might wonder why, if I'm worried about my little boy growing up too fast, I would want to send him away all day. It is exactly for that reason. We feel that with the more relaxed pace of all day kindergarten, he'll have more time to just be a kid at school. But, wow, I think I'm a little shocked. Mentally, I'd already prepared myself for half day. I've read the letter about five times just to be sure.

Comments:
Actually, you did the right thing with the kindergarden. My son didn't have any kids to play with as a preschooler, and we were his playmates. He went to an all day kindergarden, and really blossomed into a social butterfly. Of course, just being with my lovely wife and myself, he spoke like a little adult. That was OK, as the teachers liked him and put him into accelerated classes. He did real well in school and after 8th grade, he had a strong desire to go to Phillips Exeter academy in Exeter, NH. We sent him there, and he's starting his last year there. He's grown intellectually at an exponential rate,and also has become very independent. I owe all of his academic and social success to that first year in kindergarden.

Aloha,

Jeff
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?