24 June 2006

Book review: Mayflower

I've finished the first volume of my summer reading "program," Nathaniel Philbrick's Mayflower. I'd give it a six on a scale of one to ten. I didn't really read what it was about before buying it, but I think I was hoping it'd be a somewhat anthropological/historical view of the voyage and life of the Pilgrims. Instead, it is quite a bit of political and military history of Massachusetts--in particular Plymouth colony--from about 1620 to 1676. It was well researched and fairly well written, but probably a bit dry for summer reading. I must be a glutton for punishment, having read 1776 last summer--also not really a light summer read. Or just interested in early New England history.

I didn't really know what to read next, so I've started The Great Gatsby. I've read it before, but thought I'd refresh myself before seeing the stage adaptation in August. If anyone has any other suggestions for summer reads, I'd love to hear them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?