11 July 2006

My tastebuds were born June 1990

I love all things Swiss. Therefore, when I saw this yogurt at the grocery store, of course I had to buy it.













It was alright. The grapefruits [sic] flavor was pretty good but was overwhelmed by the texture, which tasted like someone had dumped in a box of cornstarch. Even if the yogurt were great I wouldn't be buying a bunch more of it at $1.45 per carton.

Almost as much as things Swiss, I love things Greek. So when I saw this yogurt at the grocery store....













It's been fifteen years since I've had real Greek yogurt so this could taste like goat meat and I'd probably never know the difference. My first Grecian breakfast, giaourti kai meli (yogurt with honey), was the best breakfast I've ever had. Undoubtedly due to the location overlooking the Mediterranean and the fact that it was the first decent food I'd had in five days, but my favorite breakfast nonetheless. Though impossible to duplicate, if any yogurt can transport me back I know it will be this "yogurt of the gods." I also bought it to put in a refreshingly cool egg-lemon-cucumber soup that was one of my favorites while living there. And maybe some tzatziki (yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip). When the mercury starts rising, all I can think about is Greek food and Amstel beer.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?