30 November 2006

Jul Neg (Yool Nek)



I picked up my jul neg from Ingebretsen's a few weeks ago. What? You don't know what a jul neg is? Why it's the sheaf of wheat that Norwegians traditionally put out for the birds during the Christmas season. Carrying out some of the traditions of my Scandinavian heritage and passing them on to the next generation is important to me. It's mostly the Christmas ones that have survived my immigrant ancestors attempts to assimilate to American culture. Our jul neg [more commonly spelled julenek in modern Norwegian] has been biding its time appearing in this little harvest display in our foyer. It will now move to our front door as Christmas decor.

Tomorrow: a look into the disturbed mind of FizzyLizzy.

Comments:
I can't wait for tomorrow! Plus, your jul neg is very nice looking.

Did Mr. FL see Borat, and if yes, did he like it? I haven't seen it but our neighbor, in a pretty good imitation of Borat, keeps repeating lines from the movie that make me laugh.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?