23 February 2007

Retirement and Rope Power

My dad retired today. While it's a much bigger life change for him, it makes me feel a little older. I usually have the Today show providing a little background noise in the mornings and I've noticed that my ear perks up when life-relevant stories are on. I tune out pregnancy and babies and tune into "tweens." I had the realization this week that sooner rather than later the segments on "your aging parents" are going to become relevant. Like this tease for the NBC Nightly News: "How to recognize the signs that it may be time to have that talk with an aging parent." What signs? Like giggling when they're around members of the opposite sex? Personally, I thought they already knew about all that stuff. Maybe I could kill two birds with one stone and do Katherine and them together.

This note came home today:

Dear Parent/Guardian: Your child has been chosen to participate in the 2007 Rope Power Team. The team is made up of fourth grade students who have, during the Rope Power unit, shown themselves to be top jumpers.

Katherine kept telling me over the past few weeks about how she really wanted to be in "rope power." And I--the awesome mom that I am--was like, "Whatever." I feel bad now for kind of dismissing her. I just thought it was something in gym. Apparently Minneapolis public school students who have passed a certain level of jump rope skills in phys ed are invited to be part of their school's Rope Power Team. The team learns a routine set to music and will perform it at the All City Rope Power Night in March. I never knew.

Comments:
I know you feel a little bad but you can't be super interested in everything and it's cool that she went ahead and achieved her goal on her own. That's awesome that she made it. :-)

Speaking of aging, I bought a Nutregena Home Micro-Dermabrasion Kit with which to buff my face. I keep looking at my hands and wondering if it would work there, too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?