27 November 2007

Casimir Who?

Why would a fifth-grader choose to write about Casimir Pulaski for her report on a Revolutionary War figure? Because he's Polish. Katherine loves her uncle who lives in Poland.

So who is Casimir Pulaski? Enough of somebody to find a few pages about him online. But when she told me last night that she had to bring a book source to school the next day, I was not pleased.

Enter two of my eccentric habits. The ownership of an excessive amount of books and my compulsion for lists. As some of you may have noticed, I've got a Librarything widget on my sidebar. I've been using Librarything to catalog the excessive amount of books I have purchased along with the excessive amount of books Paul has purchased, combined with the excessive amount of books we have purchased for our children. (Here's a fun game: guess which books belong to who!) But I digress...

So last night I was able to search my Librarything catalog and locate our American history books (including the fascinating read Minutemen and Their World). The verdict: a no-go on Casimir Pulaski except in a 1952 edition of the World Book Encyclopedia. Which she proceeded to leave on the dining room table this morning.

Comments:
would she get extra credit for the polish spelling? Kazimierz

what a character - and that is katherine, not Kaz
 
Yes, we came across that spelling. All you fancy Eastern-European-language-speaking people think you're going to confuse us into submission with all your different z-zs-sz-s pronunciations. We'll show you. We'll just spell it the right way...the American way!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?