17 January 2008

Two degrees of separation



If you live in these parts you may have seen this ad. Oh, I know it's all tongue in cheek and he's really winking at us all the while. (Nevermind the grandmotherly teacher who was probably fresh out of college when Franken had her nearly 50 years ago.) But there's just something unseemly about it. Like he's trying to remind us that he's from here when he's not really "from here" anymore. Kind of makes me feel like he's picked us as his best bet to get to Washington, and it makes me feel used. Maybe I'm just sensitive about it because St. Louis Park is my hometown. I actually met Franken's brother Owen once. He came to speak at our school about his experiences as a photojournalist in the Mid-East. He was really cool...I asked for his autograph. (And got it.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?