01 February 2008

So it begins

In June, the fifth grade is going on a three-day field trip to a conservation center in Northern Minnesota. The permission slip came home this week and along with it the opportunity to go along as a chaperone. I asked Katherine if she wanted me to go on the field trip, fully expecting a "Yes." You know where this is leading. She said, "No." I asked if she thought I would embarrass her and she said no. I asked if she thought I would negatively impact her socializing and she said yes. When I explained that the reason I wanted to go was to connect with other fifth-grade parents and that I wasn't going to hang out with her, she acquiesced. But I'm thinking that her initial response of "No" is the very reason why I should go. Lord only knows what her visions of "socializing" are, and they'd better not involve any fifth-graders with a Y chromosome. Nice mom that I am, I'm toying with the idea of torturing her with the threat that she and I will be staying at my aunt & uncle's cabin just down the road from the center.

Comments:
Posts like this make me more and more certain that I should have started counseling for myself years ago in order to be able to deal with the teenage years to come.

I'll be looking to you for leadership. You handled this situation nicely. May I just say, "THREE day field trip?"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?