04 April 2008

The Longest Week

Apart from the call at 11:20 p.m. on Sunday from a phone-tree parent to say the group had arrived in Costa Rica, this is all we have heard so far--an e-mail from the husband of one of the chaperones:

The girls are having a great time and are getting along really well. Survey on the food is mixed - some love "rice and beans" and some never want to see it again!

They've seen many different kinds of animals - howler monkeys, caymans, lizards, iguanas, frogs and lots and lots of birds. The classic quote so far - "This is just like the nature channel, LIVE!"

Today is a quiet day. Tomorrow they will go white water rafting (a change from the planned zip line excursion) although Marian wanted me to assure you all that since there's been little rain the rapids are really only class 1 or 2 - slightly more than the Minnehaha Creek and nothing to worry about. Sunday will be Arenal and Hot Springs.


Though there have been many, this has been among the longest weeks of my life. It feels so strange to have no tab on the pulse of my daughter for this long. Did she get sunburn? Does she like the food? Is she homesick? I'm pretty sure that by now the answer to the last one is "no". And hopefully the cereal bars and granola bars will tide her over. : ) Sitting in the Special Care Nursery at the hospital holding a 32-week preemie, could I ever have imagined her life? No.

Comments:
I knew I was in for a tear-eliciting post with your title. :-) What a great experience for her. You must be so proud. I hope my two grow up to be as adventurous.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?