19 November 2008

RIP Nokomis Library?

I found out that they are planning to "renovate" our neighborhood library. While I can appreciate the need for some updating, I'm a little worried. The Nokomis Library feels cozy to me--like a neighborhood library should be, unlike the behemoth Southdale Library. I like the "old fashioned" architecture of the Nokomis Library.













I also like the sculpture they have there, which represents Minnehaha Falls.














Both things remind me of the library I went to as a child, the Edina Community Library. That too had 1960's architecture and a large geographically-inspired sculpture. In the above photo, behind the sculpture, you can also see the cool reading loft for kids. So I hope that "renovate" doesn't mean "sterilize", like what they did to the Edina Library when they redid it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?